Ephesians 1:3–Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
God did not hold back on giving us an inheritance. He gave us every spiritual blessing.
Movies in 3D are a thing of the past. I loved the old time 3D movies because they would project all kinds of objects or monsters that would jump out in the audience. It was so real that we would reach out our hands to try to grab the objects floating in front of our face. When I would take the 3D glasses off, the movie screen was a blur. Sometimes we may feel like we are only seeing one dimension of a scripture that we have read for years. And then He will open our eyes to see something deeper. His Spirit is opening the eyes of our hearts to see the deeper riches of His grace. He wants us to see the hope of our calling for He has given us a glorious inheritance.
For instance, what are these spiritual blessings mentioned in Eph 1:3? As usual, Paul answers my question if I but read further. We can put on our “spiritual 3D glasses” and see that Paul describes these blessings throughout his letter to the Ephesians. I will list some of them taken from his letter (there are many more mentioned throughout the scriptures).
- He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.
- We are holy and blameless before Him.
- In love He predestined us to adoption as sons/daughters through Jesus.
- And we have the forgiveness of our trespasses according to the riches of His grace.
- He gave us wisdom and insight to understand the mystery of His will.
- We have obtained an inheritance and were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.
- He will give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.
- He will enlighten us that we may know the hope of our calling.
- He will reveal the riches of our glorious inheritance and His greatness of power.
- He made Him head of His church and His fullness fills us all.
- When we were dead in our trespasses, He made us alive together with Christ.
- He has seated us with Him in heavenly places.
- He has given us immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness in Christ.
- We are His workmanship created in Christ.
- We were once far off but now have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
- He Himself is our peace.
- He has reconciled us to God.
- Through Him we have access to God through His Spirit.
- We are members of the household of God.
- We are being built together into a dwelling place for God by His Spirit.
- We are partakers of the promise of Christ.
- Through the church the manifold wisdom of God will be made known.
- Through the power of His Spirit He will strengthen us in our inner man.
- He will give us the strength to comprehend the depth of His love for us.
- We will be filled with the fullness of God.
- He is able to do far more abundantly than we ask or think.
- Grace is given to each of us according to Christ’s gift.
- He will bring us to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.
- He has given us a new self, created in His likeness in true righteousness and holiness.
- He has given us armor to stand firm.
- His power works within us.
A suggestion: Start at the top of this list of our spiritual blessings and memorize/meditate on one per day. It is okay to personalize each blessing. For instance, number one—“Thank You, Father for choosing me in You before the foundation of the world”. Or, number 31—“Thank you, God that Your power is at work in me”. As you meditate, ask Him to take you deeper into the meaning of each blessing.
Lord, we thank You that you have given us every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.